Getting old sucks lemons. Your eyesight goes, your bones start to make funny crackling noises and you get called ma’am a lot. Some people refer to you as wise but what they really mean is that you have done it all and now you can tell them what not to do.
Being a mature and seasoned women (sounds like I’m describing a piece of leather), is that you are able to recognize this: There will be days when emotions can ruin your day and now you know why! Nice huh?
Those days when something so small sets you off. I am not talking about when you are visited by your womanly “gift” once a month. I’m talking about feeling less than and unworthy. Life is hard and sometimes we get in a FUNK!
The other day I cried over my mom changing her phone number because it was our old house phone of 40 years. Still. What???!! We are emotional women, and there is nothing wrong with that. Men are emotional beings too only they handle it differently. That’s where “kick the dog” came from. They tend to get angry and can’t tell you why. Same difference. Yes.
Recognizing it may not change the day for you but hopefully you will see it for what it is and not fall down that horrible rabbit hole. Cause just like Alice in Wonderland if you fall down that hole you will see some weird stuff. You can avoid the large impact and come out the other side. I wish someone had told me that my feelings and emotions were normal. They are normal!
Disclaimer: if you find yourself not being able to function daily tasks in your life, please seek the attention of a professional. Depression is real, don’t be embarrassed. Get help.
So when the first digit of your age is no longer a 4 you understand that this day/this time is not something to own but rather to ride it out! Accept that you are having a bad emotional day and sit in your strange “rental body” because this too shall pass.
If you are still rocking a 4 , 2 or 3 at the beginning of your age, take heart. These episodes of nonsensical calisthenics are not here to stay. Here are a few do’s and don’ts when your emotions feel icky and yucky.
- Don’t make big life changing decisions, like adopting a puppy or quitting your job.
- Try not to yell at your husband but if you do tell him “hey, just kidding” later, he’ll catch on.
- Don’t try to start a new eating plan. Chances are you will end up in a puddle of tears or firing everyone around you.
- Do change your surroundings if you can.
- If you hear something bad about yourself, hear it out, feel it and then let it go. Turn around and plow through it and out of it. Don’t camp there, move past it.
- Grab some fresh air. Life is just better when you are not under fluorescent lights with four walls.
- Don’t be around that friend who eats at you and gets under your skin. Just don’t, you may be saving a life here.
- Call your safe friend and take her to lunch/coffee. You know that friend who no matter what you say she is sitting there like a Pomeranian with big eyes listening to all you say and thinks you are so cool. She is your cheerleader and you need/love her.
- If you are a person of faith, I suggest you listen to a podcast or two of those preachers who tell you all that you are amazing, and who give you the warm fuzzies. By the end of the sermon you are doing the Rocky dance with your hands up and are ready to conquer anything that comes your way. God love them.
- Strap yourself in under the covers, set your Netflix to your latest obsession show, grab some chips (I’m a salty not sweets person) and veg out.
- Do take the Scarlet O’Hara stance and think about it tomorrow. Hallelujah, there is a tomorrow.
When you see these traps coming on, just ride them out and know that you are not defined by them. When you start to feel less than a good mother, a helpful daughter or awesome wife, these feelings are not to be taken seriously. You will move past them and recognize them for what they are: tough emotions falsely portraying themselves as real feelings. When you are feeling like you are not what you should be, please refer to the list above. Take it from this old chick, don’t sweat it.