Beach Condo Packing List

When we go on vacation we rent a condo on the beach. We have done this for many years, since our little boy was toothless and his big sister was waiting for her two front teeth to come in. They now have all of their teeth, thank goodness. But we are still vacationing together.
Throughout these years I have tweaked a list of items that are needed for our week’s stay.

20140711-072139-26499653.jpg

Being that

A. I don’t want to rush to the store to get essentials until mid week.

B. I don’t want to pay beach resort prices for things that I can bring from home.

C Usually the supplies at each condo have been very minimal and not enough for a whole week’s stay.

And so a beach packing list was born.

Some of these things you only need a few days worth, so why purchase  a month’s supply at beach store prices, when you can bring just what you need, in small containers, from home.

This is  a great list that can be adapted to most condo rental vacations. The key is to plan your week’s meals and to consolidate. I pack it all in a plastic storage tub and a small cooler. Here’s how I do it.

Whether you are skiing, heading to the beach or hanging out in a rustic cabin, if you plan to cook at all or make any kind of meals in the kitchen, these items are a must. After you read this list, you may ask yourself, “Is she crazy? How am I going to pack all of this stuff and still have room for my clothes and beach chairs? The answer is in the TUB. I pack most of these items in a 30 gal plastic tub with lid. You would be surprised how much you can fit into one of these things.

how to pack for the beach

In the Tub

salt

pepper

sugar/sweeteners

oil

cinnamon

old bay

italian seasoning

taco seasoning

a few rolls of toilet paper(I’m serious about not going to the store until mid week)

paper towels

paper plates

plastic cups

plastic utensils (when you take a small bowl of pasta down to the beach)

napkins

box of tissues

coffee filters/coffee/creamer/sugar

dryer sheets

laundry pods/or bag of detergent/liquid detergent in old squirt bottle or plastic container

clothes line with clips or small drying rack(for wet suits)

bar soap/or liquid soap pumps

clothes pins to close chip bags

dish detergent

dish soap

extra scrubber

a few small & Large ziplock bags (freezer ones hold up better)

extra trash bags ( since they take up little space I bring one for each day of our stay)

all-purpose cleaner wipes (once our condo had a glass table top that got gross after every meal)

big lighter (for grill lighting)

foil/parchment paper/muffin liners

flashlight

all non perishable food items such as mac & cheese with cheese packets, crackers, can beans, non-melting candy, microwave popcorn, nuts, wine, pretzels, spices, salt, pepper, italian seasoning, pop-tarts,canned soups, Old Bay seasoning, rice mixes, pasta, cinnamon, sugar, oil, sugar, baking mixes (ie pancake, muffins, cookie),chips, taco seasoning

items to pack for the beach

In the Cooler

Frozen lasagna for first night

Taco meat (cooked & frozen in quart size baggies)

Grilled chicken (seasoned, cooked & frozen in quart size baggies)

Cheese/sliced or shredded

3 sticks of butter(frozen)

Cooked bacon

Deli meat (just to get us through the first few days)

Here are some things I’ve taken in the past. Small container or milk, boiled eggs in a baggie, soup frozen in freezer bag, cooked pork chops frozen in freezer baggie and frozen alfredo sauce for pasta night. Do your research, if you can freeze it then do it and pack it.

20140712-054807-20887750.jpg

Beach Gear

Towels

beach toys/sandcastle bldg items

sunscreen

aloe gel for sunburns

frisbee

beach chairs

beach umbrella

floats/boogie boards/skim boards

goggles

Thought it might be helpful for me to post my beach menu for this year.

Saturday– lunch on road, dinner: Lasagna with raw veggies

Sunday– lunch:deli cheese, meat & crackers  dinner: at friends’ house

Monday– lunch:Mac & Cheese with steamed broccoli  dinner: Nachos/Taco Salad (use taco meat)

Tuesday– lunch: soup  dinner: birthday seafood dinner out

Wednesday– lunch: quesadillas with any leftover taco meat or grilled chicken dinner: Pasta with salad or Pizza (take out or store-bought)

Thursday– lunch: sandwiches with chips and raw veggies  dinner: Indian chicken curry with rice and cucumber salad

Friday– lunch: leftovers or lunch out. dinner: catch of the day or buy shrimp to cook at home with baked potatoes and corn on cob.

Breakfast

I usually post a list of suggestions for all to see

Bacon, toast, pop-tarts, honey buns, boiled eggs, fruit, juice, oatmeal, granola, granola bars

If you would like to know what I pack to wear on the beach, check out my post on Beach Fashion Here.

Hope this has been helpful. I hope you have a great vacation and gain more time on the beach and less time in the kitchen.

Advertisements

20 thoughts on “Beach Condo Packing List

1. Ramona says:

I always write out our menu and how much is needed for a h meal. For example if we are have omelets with ham and cheese it would say 6 eggs, 1cup of diced ham and 1 cup of shredded cheese. That would be for 3 of us. My son has food allergies so we always pack our food from home. We have even checked a bag of frozen food & non red righted food from Dallas to St Thomas. It works out perfectly. The only thing we had to buy once we got to St. Thomas was milk, bread and fresh veggies. I ways precook HB meat and breakfast sausage, and then refreeze. It makes breakfast and spaghetti so quick!! Awesome list you have!

• Ramona says:

We usually go to St. Thomas every summer. This year we will be there for 2 weeks. Our son has major food allergies, so I have ALWAYS packed our food and checked it thru the airlines. We take 1 bag of frozen food and 1 bag of dry food. We only have to pickup our fresh veggies, Milk, eggs and bread. This summer we will be packing Taco meat, Buffalo Chicken for lettuce wraps, Thai Beef Lettuce wraps, Sausage for breakfast burritos, Steak (will cook on grill) and Beef Fajita Meat for Tacos. I will precook everything and have it in Vacuum sealer bags, enough for 1 meal. This way we will only take out of the freezer what we need for that day and heat it up on the stove-top when we return for the day. We will bring bagels from Costco for breakfast bagel sandwiches. I basically will have each of the dinner meals 3 times. The condo we will have this time does not have an oven, only top burners. This way I know exactly what my son will be eating, no surprise oils or nuts, etc… that he is allergic to. We will have sandwiches for lunches with pasta salad if we are out and about, and our resort has outside grills so we will also do hamburgers and hot dogs for lunches. I am sure we will eat out, probably just once for lunch and order pizza for our first night since we get in late. Happy Traveling!!

• Ramona,
        What a great plan. Thank you for sharing it with us. I love the Thai beef for lettuce wraps meal. Have a wonderful vacation this year!! Don’t forget to view my youtube video for more tips on packing for your vacation. – Corine Beach Packing video

2. DJ says:

These are great reminders. My family spent 2 weeks in an Aspen condo last summer and we are going again this summer. This year I plan to bring my crockpot so we can come back from our afternoon adventures to a completed dinner. I’m also going to bring some staples from home, like frozen quick breads for breakfasts, basic seasonings, olive oil, tea bags, sandwich bags & tinfoil.

We travel a lot with our now 3-year-old and I try to keep our eating similar to our eating habits at home. This can mean stocking a hotel room with cereal, yogurt & milk, getting lunch from a supermarket salad bar (toddler approved carrot sticks, hard boiled eggs, crackers) and even buying a rotisserie chicken for a picnic dinner. This keeps restaurants an enjoyable treat for all of us. Daily restaurant eating with a small child gets old (not to mention pricey) quickly.

• Thank you DJ. Yes, you’ve got the idea with tinfoil and seasonings, Love it. I also love the idea of using a crockpot on your CO vacation and having dinner ready after a long day of fun with the family. A two week vacation sounds so dreamy, and in Aspen no less. Last year we had lasagna cooking in the condo oven (that I made & brought from home) while we grab a few more minutes on the beach. I paired it with some raw veggies I had packed and it was so yummy and easy. Have a great vacation this year.

3. Sherry says:

This is great. I’ve been trying to remember what we brought last time and this really helped to remind me. Thanks!

4. Jennifer Rucker says:

This is so great. If we head out on vacation this year I will keep these all in mind.
    I have one question though, how do you keep these items frozen until you reach your destination? We drive about 8-10 hours for vacation when we go.

• Jennifer, thank you so much for your comment and pin. lol I assumed you pinned it, but truth be told I haven’t checked yet. I freeze them in quart size freezer bags and take them in a cooler. They stay frozen for our 8-10 hour drive to the beach. I hope that answers your question. Please check back next month because I am going to post a video as I pack my food this year. Hope you have a wonderful vacation this year. Thanks again. 🙂

5. Erica says:

this is great!!! Hubby and I are renting a condo on the beach instead of a hotel and these suggestions are perfect.

6. Christina says:

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I have been looking for! Staying at a condo next week at the beach and this is perfect! I’m stressing about everything I have to pack but the plastic tub idea is great!

7. Lisa Sessa says:

We travel to the same beach condo every year with our adult daughter who has multiple disabilities. We have to bring a ton of stuff. I keep a small notebook from year to year and on our way home, I note the things that worked – and didn’t work – for us. I have found that bringing an outlet strip is great since we can keep all our electronics corralled together while charging. We also bring a plastic tablecloth which helps with cleanup.

• Lisa, bringing an outlet strip is a fabulous idea. I will add that to my list and the plastic table cloth. Our condo has a glass table top, so that tablecloth will come in handy. I try to keep a list myself from year to year. This year we really needed a headlamp. They are inexpensive and I hope to get one for everyone next year. Thanks so much for pinning and sharing. Have a great vacation this year.

• Lisa Sessa says:

Another good thing is a nightlight. It keeps us from stumbling around in the dark in an unfamiliar place. I too use a tub for kitchen supplies and I keep dish towels, plastic cups, and other items in it year round and restock before we go. Right now, I have pulled chicken barbecue in the crockpot. When it’s done, it will go in the freezer in a zip lock bag. First night’s dinner is done!

• Yes! Lisa I love that first night dinner that’s ready to go. We do lasagna, that’s made ahead and popped in the oven while we are down at the beach. Love having my toes in the sand while my dinner is baking. Have a great vacation this year!